Top 10 Hashtags 2016
Top 10 Hashtags Trended in India in 2016
- #Rio2016 – The 2016 Summer Olympics commonly known as Rio2016 was a major internationalmulti-sport event held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 August to 21 August 2016. This being a famous international sports event that takes place once in every 4 years was the most hot topic of 2016. This olympic too we saw many of our sportspersons participating in various events and few like wrestler Sakshi Malik and Badminton player PV Sindhu won medals for the country. The entire nation rallied behind its top female athletes during #Rio2016 as Twitter users from publicly voiced their support and gratitude for India’s beloved daughters who made the country proud.
- #IndvsPak- The2016 ICC World Twenty20 was the sixth edition of the ICC World Twenty20, the world championship of Twenty20 International It was held in India from 8 March to 3 April 2016.On March 19th, #INDvPAK trended all day on Twitter in India and globally, and more than 1.1 million Tweets were recorded, making it the most Tweeted T20 International match ever, beating the earlier record of the recent Asia Cup match between India and Pakistan.
- #WT20– The international championship of Twenty 20 cricket was Tweeted about by the nation’s ardent cricket lovers. #WT20 hashtag was used by every fan at every six.
- #IndvsAus– One of the most exciting games of #WT20 was the do-or-die, winner-takes-all clash between India and Australia on March 27th. India’s passage to the semi-finals was the most-Tweeted moment of #WT20. With 973K Tweets recorded during the match, this was the second most Tweeted match during #WT20.
- #MakeInIndia– The #MakeInIndia programme that encourages companies to manufacture their products in India has been consistently visible on Twitter. The Government shared updates on new deals, joint ventures and tech transfers using this hashtag #MakeInIndia around the world.
- #IndvsWI- India vs West Indies was the semi-final game in the WT20 tournament.#IndvsWI trended all day on March 31st. Even though West Indies won the match , Indians still supported their team.
- #IndvsBan- India vs Bangladesh match took place on March 23rd. The match was so thrilling that brought all the Indians of the world together to support their team. India beat Bangladesh by 1 run and that every celebrated their joy by posting on social media with #IndvsBan .
- #PVSindhu- The nation waited in anticipation for that one night when PV Sindhu, the badminton star made history and her country proud as she became the first Indian woman to win a silver medal at the Olympics. Not just that, she also became the fourth Indian to win an Olympic silver, fifth Indian woman to win an Olympic medal and youngest Olympic medallist. Twitter was flooded with the celebratory tweets from all over the country which resulted in #PVSindhu becoming the eighth most trending hashtag on the social media platform.
- #Surgicalstrike- When the Indian Army carried out a surgical strike against Pakistan on 29th Spetember following the Uri Attack, the nation stood divided in favour of or against this choice of action that led to a significant number of casualties of Indian soldiers. Social media was flooded by #surgicalstrike.
- #JNU– When Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU) president Kanhaiya Kumar gave a speech at an event held on campus to mark the third anniversary of terror convict Afzal Guru’s hanging, he was charged with sedition charges and arrested on February 13th .The #JNU hashtag took Twitter by storm as people debated over serious issues .