Charlie Chaplin once said that life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot: this quote pretty much sums up what stand-up comedians do to tickle your senses – they take a serious subject, something you can relate to, and show you how funny life actually is.
Here is a list of Top 10 comedians who were simply amazing with their comic timing and their content.
1) Kenny Sebastian: Anyone who enjoys the art of comedy would tell you that the most important thing to elicit laughter is timing, and that translates to a sense of control from the comedian. Hailing from Kerala this content-driven comedian with his impeccable comic control is making people bend double with laughter.
2) Zakir Khan: He became a known face in India’s stand-up comedy circuit in 2012 when he won the title of ‘India’s Best Stand-Up Comedian’- a comedy competition organized by Comedy Central. Besides performing at many stand-up comedy shows, he has also done ghostwriting and produced radio shows. His comedy style was applauded in NDTV Prime’s The Rising Stars of Comedy television show
3) Biswa Kalyan Rath: Biswa and Kanan came up with the idea of the Pretentious Movie Reviews, a series of videos which soon went viral on YouTube. In this series, they review critically panned Bollywood movies, including Gunda, Prem Aggan. They also reviewed the film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. Their videos often get widely shared on social media, including by other celebrities. In 2014, he performed his first live show along with Kanan Gill in Gurgaon.
4) Varun Thakur: Varun is a regular headliner at the Comedy Store. Being a struggling actor from Bombay, he’s rejected on a daily basis by casting directors and rickshaw-walas. His latest film was Jab Tak Hai Jaan and despite what’s being said, he’d like to clarify that Katrina and he are just “good friends”. With a good mix of observational humour, high energy, and impersonations, he’s an act you shouldn’t miss.
5) Daniel Fernandes: Fernandes regularly performs at comedy clubs including Canvas Laugh Club, The Comedy Store, Blue Frog, and High Spirits. In his comedic material and interviews, Fernandes is known to cover Indian social issues including free speech, student suicide, death penalty and marital rape.
6) Sorabh Pant: Sorabh During college was known for his side-splitting sense of humor and lighthearted manner of expression. So years later, it comes as no surprise to see his name popping up as one of India’s top Stand Up Comedians.
7) Aditi Mittal: One of the first women to do stand-up comedy in India, Aditi has been rated amongst India’s top 10 stand-up comedians by The Times of India.She is featured in CNNIBN.com as top 30 witty, intelligent and incredibly funny Indian women to follow on Twitter. Aditi has written columns and articles in Grazia Men magazine, DNA and Firstpost.com and Financial Times (UK, Weekend Edition).
8) Atul Khatri: Atul Khatri is one of India’s most successful Standup Comedians and YouTube personality. Khatri was rated among the top Indian comedians by CNN-IBN and was the only Indian to perform at the Hong Kong International Comedy Festival.
9) Rohan Joshi: Rohan Joshi is Comedian and member of All India Bakchod Crew. Rohan apart from AIB is popularly known since he is good looking and was dating Alia Bhatt’s sister Shaheen Bhatt. Rohan is featured in many of the AIB comedy videos and the team together is rocking the YouTube would with a great number of subscribers and fan following. AIB Team along with Rohan was involved in a controversy regarding comedy roast along with Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor and Karan Johar.
10) She was voted as the best Stand Up Comic at the Oz Fest and was India’s first Stand Up to perform at Melbourne for the prestigious Melbourne Comedy Festival 2016.